10 Tips that will help you memorize songs
Let’s face it – it’s hard to memorize songs with all those lyrics, hundreds of songs, all those chord progressions – even Bruce Springsteen uses a teleprompter these days.
But how would you memorize songs with all those words? The Verses? Here are some tips that might help you achieve that goal:
- Listen, re-listen, and listen again. As simple as it sounds, you need to listen to the song as often as possible. On your way to work. In the car. On your bicycle (lower the volume, you don’t want to end up in an accident, do you?)
- Sing/play the song as often as you can. Under the shower, when you’re in your car, when you’re going for a walk. As with learning languages repeating things out loud will help you to memorize things.
- Use visual aids, such as mind-mapping-techniques. If you’re a visual person, then mind-maps work also great if you need to learn for an exam or need to organize and memorize lots of information within a short time.
- Connect the lyrics to objects in your apartment. If you need to, put little stickies next to objects that you use every day.
- Try to sing them without any help and see how far you can get. Only read the lyrics if you really get stuck.
- Visualize the story. Don’t just sing the words. If you really understand what is going on in the song and understanding what it tries to transmit will help a lot to memorize the song.
- If you have troubles at certain parts of the song, just write down a few keywords that you can use as a hint, in case you get stuck.
- Get enough sleep. Your memory suffers if you don’t get enough rest and even kills your brain cells, so make sure you sleep enough!
- Keep learning new songs on a regular basis.It might be tougher in the beginning, but actually stimulating your brain will improve your memory, which will improve the ability to learn new songs much faster!
- Rather learn a bit every day, than for hours on one day.
Of course, the best it to write and play your own songs, but if you are planning to perform a cover song, the tips above will make it easier to memorize that song. Got any other tips? Leave us a comment below! Or if you like to perform at one of our Open Mic Nights in Rome, you can contact us here!